Best Roulette Strategies
Roulette is a classic casino table game that's just as thrilling online as it is at the local casino. What makes roulette an exciting game is that it's equal parts chance and strategy. That's why every gambler should approach the table with a great roulette strategy.
There's no "one strategy to guarantee a win". After all, the casino always has a house edge. But, there are several roulette strategies that players could use to improve their chances of winning when they play. Today, we're going to introduce you to 6 of the best roulette strategies. Read on to improve how you play.
Overview of the Best Roulette Strategies
There are a lot of different roulette strategies that players could try. However, some are better than others. Players can't twist luck in their favour, but they can use the right strategy to improve their chances of seeing a winning streak.
Are you wondering which roulette strategy to choose? Let's take a look at some of the most successful roulette strategies used by the pros.
The D'Alembert strategy is a progression bet that's simple enough for beginners to follow. This roulette strategy is all about balance. When players follow this strategy, they will focus on either black/red or high/low. They will also need to watch several games play out to notice patterns.
With this strategy, the gambler will need to bet the opposite of the roulette pattern. The theory behind this strategy is that everything will eventually come to a balance. For example, if the ball landed on red numbers in the past 3 rounds, it's time to place a bet on black.
Now, there's no exact rule that you have to follow with this strategy. It's more about following your instincts. However, some players will approach this technique with a wagering strategy. What they will do is place the minimum bet for the first round. Then, they will raise the bet with each round moving forward. For example:
- Round 1 - Bet $1 on red - Lose
- Round 2 - Bet $2 on red - Lose
- Round 3 - Bet $3 on red - Win
- Round 4 - Bet $4 on red - Win
Pros of D'Alermbert Strategy
- Easiest roulette strategy for beginners
- Players are in complete control over the amount of money they bet for each round
Cons of D'Alermbert Strategy
- Small wins
- High chance of a losing streak
The Martingale strategy is the most successful roulette strategy for recovering losses. With this technique, the gambler will focus on either high/low or red/black. Every time they lose, they will double their bet. The theory behind this is that by raising the bet, it will be easier to recover losses.
With this strategy, the player will go back to their initial betting amount each time they win. While this roulette strategy does have potential, it's only recommended for high-rollers. There is a chance that players with a smaller budget could blow through their money before they recover it.
Are you interested in seeing how the Martingale system plays out? Let's look at an example.
- Round 1 - Bet $5 on red - Lose
- Round 2 - Bet $10 on red - Lose
- Round 3 - Bet $20 on red - Win
- Round 4 - Bet $5 on red - Win
Pros of Martingale Strategy
- The quickest way to recover losses
- Easy way to increase wins
Cons of Martingale Strategy
- Players could bet large amounts for small wins
The Paroli system is an excellent choice for players that want to keep their wagers low. It's also known as the "Reverse Martingale Strategy". This strategy has to do with your betting amount.
Every gambler will start with an initial wager. When you win a bet, you will double your wager. On losing rounds, you will cut your bet in half. Let's take a look at how this could play out.
- Round 1 - Bet $10 - Lose
- Round 2 - Bet $5 - Win
- Round 3 -Bet $10 - Win
- Round 4 - Bet $20 - Lose
- Round 5 - Bet $10 - Win
Pros of Paroli Strategy
- Good roulette strategy for recovering losses
- Easy to follow
Cons Of Paroli Strategy
- Could easily lose your entire bankroll on 1 bad bet
If you're ready to try out some more complicated roulette strategies, we suggest trying the Labouchere strategy. This one may seem tricky at first, but it's really fun once you get into it. Here is what you need to do.
- Choose the amount you would like to bet over a set number of games. (If you're a beginner, this strategy is easiest to follow with an even number).
- Break your betting sum into a sequence of numbers. For example, if you picked $20, the sequence could look like this: 2-2-3-3-4-3-2-1. The sequence of numbers can be completely random, as long as it adds up to your total.
- Take the first and last number from your sequence. Add them together and bet that amount. Using the example above, the player would take the numbers 2 and 1 and bet $3.
- If you win the bet, you can cross the first and last numbers off of your sequence. However, if you lose, you will add your betting amount to the end of the sequence. For example, if you lost the previous bet, the new order would be 2-2-3-3-4-3-2-1-3.
- Keep playing until you've crossed all the numbers off of your sequence or have reached your bankroll.
Pros of Labouchere Strategy
- Great way to win higher amounts
- Easier to manage your bankroll
- Recommended for high rollers
Cons Of Labouchere Strategy
- Losing streaks can create a long sequence
If you have the bankroll for it, the Andrucci Strategy is the most successful roulette strategy for determining which numbers in the game are hot. Have you ever noticed that some nights when you play roulette, certain numbers keep appearing? This strategy lets you take advantage of them.
For this strategy, you will need to focus on one roulette table. You can join in the game by betting the minimum bet (as you won't be placing serious bets just yet) or by simply watching. Take note of which numbers come up for 30 to 40 games. Pay attention to these numbers to see which ones keep coming up. These are the hot numbers and they're very likely to keep appearing.
Placing a bet directly on a number in roulette gives you odds of 35:1. When you hit a win, the payout is so good that it makes up for any losses getting there. However, if the roulette ball doesn't land on your number, your could lose your bankroll. That's why it's good to know which numbers are hot.
Pros of Andrucci Strategy
- Potential for big wins
- The most efficient way to determine which numbers are hot for a particular table
- Can be used at local casinos or live dealer games online
Cons of Andrucci Strategy
- Doesn't guarantee the ball will land on that number again
- Not efficient for online roulette
The Fibonacci strategy is a fun roulette system for people that want to take a risk. When this strategy pays off, it's well worth the risk. This roulette strategy involves increasing your bet with each loss. To make this bet effective, you need to place your bets on games with 50/50 outcomes, such as red/black or high/low.
For this roulette strategy, you will start with a $1 bet. Every time you lose a bet, you will increase the amount for your next wager with the number before your previous wager. For your first loss, you will not be able to increase the $1 because the previous number is 0. However, if you lose the second $1 bet, your next bet will be for $2. Eventually, the sequence could look like this:
- $1-$1-$2-$3-$5-$8-$13-$21-$34 etc.
When you win a bet, you can choose to go back to the beginning of the sequence or continue where you are.
Pros of Fibonacci Strategy
- Very easy math to follow
- Losses aren't as drastic as they are with other roulette strategies
Cons of Fibonacci Strategy
- Losing streaks can hurt your bankroll
- This roulette strategy doesn't affect the odds of winning
Choosing the Best Roulette Strategy for You
Now that you know about the best roulette strategies, it's time to choose one. Every player has a different preference. The best strategy for your friends might not be the right one for you. Here is how you can choose the best roulette strategy for you.
- How often do you play roulette? You shouldn't choose a complicated strategy if you aren't familiar with the fame.
- What is your budget? Certain strategies for casino games are only effective for high budgets. Remember, even the safest roulette strategies could result in a loss.
- Does it make sense to you? When you read the rules of the roulette strategy did you envision yourself using it or were you scratching your head with more questions? Make sure you choose a strategy that you fully understand.
Strategy Tips When Playing Roulette
Even the best strategy needs a strategic player to make it work. Before you use any strategy while a roulette game, remember the following tips.
- Choose one or the other. Never bet on both red and black. While you're guaranteed a win, you will also lose. This bet will just have you breaking even.
- Only play on European and French roulette tables. American roulette tables have 2 zeros, which can change the odds. (The James Bond Strategy can't be played on an American roulette table. This strategy involves splitting a $20 bet across the table on high, the middle block, and zero)
- Accept your losses. There is no guarantee of winning in any game with any strategy. Know this going in and expect to see losses.
- European roulette has the lowest house edge.
- Practice is key to success. If you're a beginner, look for free demo games online. This is a great way to become familiar with the game and different strategies before you start wagering your own money.
- Keep your sessions under 20 minutes. It's easy to get carried away chasing a loss or thinking that a winning streak that came to an end will soon come back to life.
Bad Roulette Strategies You Should Avoid
It doesn't matter if you're going to a local casino or playing online roulette. There are certain strategies that people think are good to use in a roulette game that is hurting their chance of winning. Let's take a look at some bad strategy tips that you should avoid.
- Basket bets on the American roulette table. This bet involves putting your wager on the following numbers "00, 0, 1, 2, 3". While many players think this risky bet could result in a huge payout, it has the worst odds of winning.
- Betting on lucky numbers. It's very risky to bet on a solo number. However, it's not as risky to place a small bet on a single number while putting the rest of your wager on a block, line, colour, or high/low.
- Casino myths. There are a lot of myths going around about land-based casino roulette tables. Some of these stories include dealers who can land the ball on specific numbers and tilted tables resulting in specific numbers being landed on more frequently. Your odds of landing on 0 are better than any of these myths being true.
Hey there, I'm Todd Knowles. I'm Chief Editor at CasinoGrizzly and a bonafide bonus and slot expert. I've been in the online casino industry for more than 5 years now, and love discovering the best bonuses and trying out the la... Read more about the author